The Novato Police Department Lobby is open. All other City facilities are currently closed for walk-in service following the Shelter in Place Order for the County of Marin. Please call for details about the services you are interested in. 

COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) information and resources

Minor Permits - Plans Required

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

These types of minor residential permits require plans and can be processed over the counter at One Stop Shop (Monday - Thursday, 9 am - 11 am). Examples include: Minor Kitchen Remodel, Minor Bath Remodel, decks, sheds, fences, landscape structures (gazebos, play structures, etc.). Please be aware: All information on this page consists of general directions; specific projects may have additional requirements.

Complete the following three forms for all permits:
Permit Worksheet
Waste Management Form
Owner-Builder Form
(Note: permits pulled by contractors do not need Owner-Builder form, but require
a City of Novato Business License & proof of Worker's Comp.)

Plan size and scale:     Paper size:      minimum 8 ½ “ X 11” maximum 30” x 42” 
                                        Scale:               Floor & elevation plans - minimum ¼” = 1’ 
                                                                 Site plan - minimum 1’ – 20’

Kitchen remodels need 4 sets of floor plans with electrical receptacles and lighting shown on plans. Lighting must meet California Energy Code requirements. Depending on scope of work more construction details may be required. See Guide for Kitchen Receptacles and Small Appliance Circuits and Guide to Residential Lighting & Electrical.

Bathroom remodels that relocate any fixtures or walls need 4 sets of floor plans with electrical and lighting shown. Depending on scope of work more construction details may be required.
See Guide for Residential Bathroom Remodels and Guide to Residential Lighting & Electrical.

Exterior work: Decks, patio covers, sheds, fences(over 6 feet high), landscaping structures need 4 sets of site plans showing the location of the work in relation to the building(s), the property lines and any easements (if applicable) plus 3 sets of floor plans (except for fence permits) and elevations showing heights from grade and construction details.

Complete required Residential California Energy Form(s) for the following jobs:

HVAC Addition or Replacement
Indoor (not kitchen) & Outdoor Lighting
Kitchen Lighting
Reroof Energy and ReRoof Supplemental Questionnaire   (Novato = Climate Zone 2)
Water Heater or Windows
        Additional water heater information:
        Tankless Water Heater

For property located in Wildland Interface Fire Areas (WUI) fire zones please see Policy for Remodels and Alterations To Existing Buildings for additional requirements on exterior work.  

Smoke detectors & carbon monoxide alarms required on all permits with valuation exceeding $1000. (Sections 314 & 315 CRC) - Questions? Learn more here. For exemptions (outside work only), read and complete this form.

For non-residential energy compliance, please visit the California Energy Commission.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer