Reduce Your Use
By reducing your energy use you will save money but you’ll also reduce the amount of pollution generated from non-renewable energy sources. Here are some ways you can reduce your use:
- Eliminate standby power, also known as ‘vampire power’: You could be spending up to $200 a year on vampire power so be sure to unplug electronics when not in use (especially phone chargers).
- Turn off the lights: Lighting accounts for about 5-10% of a typical home’s energy use costing between $75 and $250/year. Save yourself some green by flicking the switch when you leave a room.
- Use a power strip: Invest in a power strip and turn off all appliances connected to the strip in one fell swoop! Consider purchasing a Smart Strip, which automatically turns off power when appliances are not in use.
- Change bulbs to CFLs or LEDs: Replace the bulbs in the five most frequently used light fixtures with ENERGY STAR-qualified bulbs and save as much as $75 each year on your energy bill.
- Put your computer to sleep: Give your computer (and energy bill) a break by putting it to sleep when not in use. The energy savings from sleep mode are about equivalent to turning your computer off but you won’t have to wait to easily pick up where you left off!
Get a Free Home Energy ‘Rating’
Home Energy Score is a free program developed by the Department of Energy and implemented locally by Stop Waste. When you sign up for the program, a trained Home Energy Score Assessor will visit your home, collect information and then score your home on a scale of 1 to 10. Once you get your Home Energy Score, you can get help prioritizing energy upgrades for your home by consulting with your contractor, or by contacting a no-fee, independent Home Upgrade Advisor from the Bay Area Regional Energy Network, or 1-866-878-6008. Your contractor or advisor can help you identify the smartest investments and access the various rebates and incentives that are available in your area.
Treat your home to an Energy Upgrade
Homeowners in Novato can choose a whole-house approach to saving energy and money by participating in Home Upgrade, an Energy Upgrade California® program implemented locally through the County of Marin. You’ll gain free access to an expert Home Upgrade Advisor who can provide direct unbiased assistance to inform you about energy efficiency options, help you select an appropriate contractor, review estimates or bids, and help you navigate project installation and financing processes. You'll reduce energy use, increase comfort, and add value to your home. Plus, get cash incentives and rebates!
Give ‘Green House Calls’ a call
The California Youth Energy Services (CYES) program provides FREE energy and water efficiency services, called Green House Calls, to households in Novato during the summer months. When you sign up for a Green House Call, CYES will send two trained youth Energy Specialists to your home to check for resource conservation opportunities, install new energy and water conserving fixtures (showerheads, lightbulbs, aerators, etc.) to help you save energy, water, and money, and give you personalized recommendations for even more savings.
Financing your Energy Efficiency Upgrade
Go Green Financing is a one-stop-financing-shop that was created by the State of California to increase the accessibility and availability of financing for energy efficiency projects. Residents and businesses can browse a database of financing solutions and filter the various options down to a more manageable number--making it easy to get in touch with a lender that fits your own unique needs and preferences.
Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) Financing - Property owners can secure upfront PACE funding for energy efficiency, water efficiency, renewable energy, and seismic improvement projects which are repaid through an up to 20-year special line item on their property taxes - instead of traditional consumer credit.
The program is open to property owners in all Marin jurisdictions and unincorporated Marin County. PACE program providers require jurisdiction approval to operate and below is the list of PACE providers servicing Novato.