Stay up-to-date on what is happening in your City of Novato:
- Sign-up to receive notifications via e-mail and/or text message on topics YOU CHOOSE including news, events, and City Council meeting previews and highlights.
- Check out our e-newsletter and sign-up to receive featured stories and information on city projects, programs, new initiatives, policy decisions, and helpful resident and business information.
City Temporarily Closing Senior Center & Postponing Some Events
On Monday, March 9, Marin Health & Human Services (HHS) recommended the cancellation or postponement of all nonessential indoor gatherings of more than 100 people to prevent the spread of COVID-19, commonly known as novel coronavirus. Marin HHS is not making the same recommendation for outdoor events at this time because the risk of transmission outdoors is low.
After careful consideration, and in accordance with recommendations from Marin HHS, the City of Novato is electively closing the Margaret Todd Senior Center and all activities that occur there and postponing several events starting Wednesday, March 11 and ending Monday, March 16, at which time we will reassess and provide updates.
“The health of our community, especially our most vulnerable population – our seniors – is of utmost importance to staff and to our City Council,” said Adam McGill, City Manager.
Margaret Todd Senior Center at 1560 Hill Road
- Closed and all classes cancelled or postponed from Wednesday, March 11 – Monday, March 16, 2020. The Margaret Todd Senior Center phone line will remain open at 415-899-8290.
- Novato Live Concert at City Hall on Saturday, March 14, 2020 featuring the band “Lean” is cancelled
- Irish Dinner at Margaret Todd Senior Center on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 at 6pm is cancelled and potentially rescheduled for a future date
We are closely monitoring this situation, and at this time all other activities and events remain as planned but will be re-evaluated as new information becomes available. Event cancellations will be posted at novato.org/calendar.
The customer service center at the Gymnastics Center located at 950 7th Street remains open and can also be reached by phone at 415-899-8279.
The City is working with the County of Marin and Marin HHS on community response to this evolving issue. The City of Novato remains open, and the Council meeting on Tuesday, March 10, 2020 at 6pm will convene as scheduled at Novato City Hall, 901 Sherman Avenue. If you are not comfortable attending in person, the meeting will be live streamed online at novato.org/watchmeetings, and on Novato Community Television Channel 27.
The best way to reduce the risk of becoming infected with a respiratory virus, whether the flu or COVID-19, is to practice good hygiene:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before eating, after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing;
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water is not available;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue or crook of your elbow (not your hands). If you use a tissue, throw it away and wash your hands afterward;
- Avoid touching your face;
- Stay home from work or school if you have a fever or are feeling sick;
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe;
- Get your flu shot to protect against flu.
Visit MarinHHS.org/coronavirus for official County of Marin updates regarding Coronavirus.